Accessibility Services

Our Mission

Accessibility Services is a program dedicated to ensuring that students with disabilities have equal access to educational opportunities at Sampson Community College. By being a visible resource, it is our intent to provide appropriate services for the students, as they build upon their college success.

Under Section 504 (of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973) and the Americans with Disabilities Act, a person with a disability is someone:

  • with a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities.
  • with a record of having such a disability; or is regarded as having such.

How to Receive Accommodations

Students may request to receive accommodations, while attending SCC, by contacting the Director of Counseling, Accessibility, and Testing.  To receive accommodations, students should:

  • Complete the SCC Admissions Application;
  • Print, complete, sign and return the Self-Identification Form to the Director of Counseling, Accessibility, and Testing;
  • Contact the Director of Counseling, Accessibility, and Testing at (910) 900-4112 or to schedule an appointment and coordinate services;
  • With some appropriate documentation, services may begin; but verification of a stated disability should be received within thirty days to continue with accommodations;
  • Upon eligibility determination, students should make periodic contact with the Director of Accessibility Services during the beginning of each term of enrollment and throughout the semester.

High School Students with Disabilities Transitioning to College

  1. Contact the Director of Counseling, Accessibility, and Testing at Sampson Community College (SCC), to request accommodations and discuss the process of registering with Accessibility Services, before you graduate high school.
  2. Complete and submit the Application for Admissions on the SCC website at
  3. Ensure your evaluations and diagnoses are current, within the last five years.
  4. Understand your disability and the accommodations you currently receive.
  5. Contact your local Vocational Rehabilitation office before you graduate.
  6. Determine what your needs will be while in college.
  7. Students whose disabilities are mild and who did not qualify for assistance or special programs in high school may utilize our tutoring services, while attending Sampson Community College.
  8. Obtain copies of your high school IEP, Psychological Report, and 504 plan from your school records or sign a Consent of Release form with the Accessibility Services Coordinator at SCC.
  9. Become familiar with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1992 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

A disability is described as a mental, or physical impairment that substantially limits a major life activity. The definition of a disability and criteria for establishing eligibility for accommodations under 504 and ADA for colleges and universities may be different than the definitions and criteria implemented in the public schools, rehabilitation programs, social security, Veterans Administration, or as covered under insurance policies. The major categories of disabilities that accommodations are provided for include, (but are not limited to) the following:

  • Autism Spectrum Disorder
  • Blindness/Visual Impairment
  • Chronic Medical Condition (i.e., asthma, seizure disorder, neurological condition)
  • Deafness/Hearing Impairment
  • Psychological/Psychiatric Condition
  • Learning Disabilities
  • Orthopedic/Mobility Impairment
  • Spinal Cord Injury
  • Traumatic Brain Injury

Accessibility Services and accommodations may include, but are not limited to:

  • Academic Support Services
  • Accommodations for testing
  • Assistive Technology
  • Coordination of Disability Support Resources
  • Enlarged Print
  • Facility Priority Access
  • Interpreter Services
  • Note-taking Services
  • Priority Registration
  • Specialized/Priority Seating
  • Student Advocacy
  • Transfer/Transition Services
  • Readers & Scribes

If you are an individual who is deaf or hard of hearing, dial 711 for NC Relay.

For More Information:

Dr. Tonita Whitted Smith,
Director of Counseling, Accessibility & Testing

Additional Resources